Saturday, February 2, 2008

Things aren't wrong... They're just different.

After about 40 straight hours of traveling and countless security check points, I finally made it to Australia. I met up with the other MSU study abroad students and made the jouney from Sydney airport to Manly, a $92.00 cab ride.
Manly is a suburb of Sydney and is just across the harbor. My school, The International College of Management, Sydney (ICMS), is absolutely beautiful. It was previously St. Patrick's Seminary, a catholic church, and was built in the 1880's. It was recently the site of Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's wedding. ICMS is at the top of a hill and it is just a short walk to the bottom to get to Manly Beach. Beautiful.

We had a few days to explore Manly before school obligations tie us down. We went downtown to The Corso in Manly. The Corso is a strip of beach shops, "take-away" (aka take-out) restaurants, bars/clubs, and souvenier shops. There are always good-looking surfer boys lining the streets. The Mall was rather interesting, too. Kinda a twisted maze of indoor and outdoor stores.

There were times though that I had to keep reminding myself... This isn't wrong, it's just different. Pepsi Light. Driving on the opposite side of the road. Rounding prices to the nearest 5 cents because Australia doesn't use pennies. Semi-formal dress code strictly enforced at the bar. Drinking age 18 (P.S. I haven't even been carded yet?!). Limited internet access. Topless beach. Dogs in restaurants. Interesting foods (many more to try, I'm sure). And I haven't seen a Foster's yet?!

I have only been here 4 days and I am already much more comfortable. Things were tough at first, which I expected, but things are only looking up from here. Orientation begins tomorrow. We have live bands/entertainment, a cocktail reception, uniform fittings, surf safety classes, and "ice-breaker" activities all week. There are also other optional activities that I might do. A Wine and Cheese party, surfing lessons, a boat tour of the harbor, and parasailing. I will fill you in on how those go.

Classes don't start until next Monday, the 11th, though. Another week without class?! This break has been SO long (not complaining...)!

Tomorrow (Monday) I am planning on getting up and heading into town to watch the SuperBowl. We are hoping we can talk a sports bar into turning it on. It should be playing here around noon. These sorts of things make the time difference complicated at times.

I had a great weekend in Manly. The beach was fun, but the waves were a tad too big for swimming, so the water was only open to surfers. I had some wonderful Fish & Chips for dinner (Ocean Perch and American French Fries). Then we headed downtown to check out the nightlife. We got mixed feedback about Americans. Some people love us, and some people don't. :) That's fine too.

I will try to update this as often as possible with anything that's worth writing about. We have many trips that we are planning and I am hoping my money doesn't run out before I see it all!! This has already been a great experience and I can't believe I still have 3 more months here!!
This is my school, The International College of Management, Sydney (ICMS)


This is the view from the front of ICMS. That is Manly Beach at the bottom of the hill.

Manly Beach, Sydney


My $3.00 Pepsi Light

Me and my MSU girls! L to R: Annie, Me, Stephanie, and Caitlin

And many people have asked for my address and/or phone number...


The International College of Management, Sydney
Attn: Erica Marx
151 Darley Rd
Manly, NSW 2095
AUSTRALIA


Direct phone line to my room:
001-612-8404-1485

Thinking of you all!
Miss&Love.

xoxo


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, your blog TOTALLY blows my blog out of the water!! You've got some gorgeous pictures of Australia there, Jo! I'm about as envious as can be, except for the exorbant prices on everything and the 40 hour flight. Couldn't handle that! It's such an odd coincidence that I'm hearing from you now since I just ran into your sister and her b/f at Meijers here in Midland last night and I asked about you! She'd actually mentioned how everything over there in Aussie country was costing a butt load and that you were staying in a castle. Man I wanna be you! Anyway, even though I barely saw you here in the states, I miss you more than you're waaaayyyyy across the big pond. Take care of yourself, have a blast, take a shit ton of pictures, and ask as many Aussies where "Yahoo Serious" lives as you can and see to getting me his autograph. He was a huge Australian movie star back around 1988. Much love, and I promise to keep reading about your adventures across the pond. I may even start calling you "Indiana Jo!"

Hugs and junk,

Jay

Judi said...

Jo,
It's good to hear that things are going well. It's already weird that you're not here, even though you wouldn't have been anyway!! Love the pictures. It will be nice to check in on you, and see what you've been up to. Work hard and don't play too hard.
Love Judi

Mom said...

Hi, Jo. This is a really neat BLOG thing. What a great way to keep everyone updated. Glad to hear that things are going better for you and that you are settling in a little bit. We (Dad, Lindsey and I) knew that you would adjust and make the most of your time in Aussie Land. We have the utmost confidence in you! You just have to keep in mind the reason you are there -- which I know you will -- and then take in some of the sights too.

We love you and miss you a lot -- even though you probably wouldn't be home anyways, but just knowing that you are "across the pond" makes it real!

Have a great week in Orientation and remember, we love you lots and miss you.

Love,
Mom and Dad

Donna Beall said...

Erica,

Cool blog! I am impressed. Pictures are awesome! Sitting in my office looking at the snow covered lanscape I am very jealous! Have a great time and learn a litte at the same time. Things are going well here at the H but we miss you.

See you soon

Donna

Carly said...

Joooo,
I'm missing youuu like crazzzyyy but even if you were here we'd still be apart, so I just have to keep that in mind..Loving this blog it's such an awesome way to keep us all updated with the stuff you're doing and seeing. Everything looks so incredible. I'm wayyy jealous :] Take lots and lots of pics for me and call me sometime again when you get the chance..I'm really sad I was in the movies when you called the first time, like really sad lol you have no idea. Maybe I'll just call that number on your page??
I love youuu&miss you so much,
Car<33

Moey said...

JOOO II MISSS YOUUU!!!!
... thats all!

... and i LOVE your pictures of course :)

I LOVE YOU!

Whitney said...

Jo-
I'm way jealous. I didn't really know much about this, excpet that you were going. It sounds amazing, and I want to hear all about it when you get back. The pictures look beautiful too. Plus, who can go wrong with surfer boys lining the streets ;) haha Love you girl. Have the time of your life!
<33 Whit

chrissy said...

hi erica
thanks for your address..love your pictures. have a great week love ya
christina